Every two years, IDF launches a call for new Young Leaders’ nominations to all its Members. IDF only accepts YLD nominations from its Members, as all Young Leaders must complete a project in their country, which can only be successfully developed with the support of IDF Members.
In order to be eligible to become part of the network, the IDF Members’ nominees need to fulfil the following criteria:
- Live with any type of diabetes
- Be between 18 and 30 years of age as of January 1st of the year after the nomination takes place (e.g. 2017 nominees must be between 18 and 30 as of January 1st 2018)
- Communicate effectively in English. The Young Leaders are expected to understand, read, write and speak English to be able to communicate with other Young Leaders and the IDF Executive Office
- Have an active relationship with an IDF Member and maintain that relationship for the whole period as a Young Leader
- Exhibit passion for making a difference in the diabetes community, locally, nationally and/or globally
- Be able to immediately develop, lead and execute a diabetes project with the support of the nominating IDF Member
- Have regular access to internet for communication and reporting purposes
- Be committed to allocating the time and maintaining the skills required to be involved in the Programme. This will include participating in various activities directed by the IDF EO.
Nominees must fill in an application form provided by IDF, where they must provide information on themselves including some medical details, and submit a copy of their passport. IDF Members need to fill a reference form, also provided by IDF. Both documents are compulsory. The timeline of the nomination process may vary, but will generally take place in the second quarter of the year.
The next call for nominations will take place in 2019.