The Lithuanian Diabetes Association was founded on December 9 1989.The original aims of the LDA are to:
- Provide mutual aid and assistance to all people with diabetes.
- Promote the study, the spread of knowledge and the proper treatment of diabetes.
- Remove all present limitations for people with diabetes in terms of their rights to labour, studies, insurance.
- The Lithuanian Diabetes Association plays a leading part in the implementation of the National Diabetes Programme.
- Provides practical help and advice producing publications on all aspects of living with diabetes (Proper Diet is Health, Nutrition for Diabetics, Foot care, Insulin, etc.)
- Publishes the newspaper “Diabetas” which keeps readers in touch with progress in medical care and research, association activities and the latest legislation affecting people with diabetes.
- Organises various conferences, seminars, such as “Teaching of Diabetics – Necessity or Luxury”, “Diabetes Teaching and Care from A till Z”, etc.
- Organises summer camps for Youth.
- Helps to establish diabetes schools in different regions of Lithuania.
- Organises World Diabetes Days activities with free blood glucose screenings.