The Ukrainian Diabetic Federation (UDF) was established in 1988 in Kharkiv, and was not only the first diabetes association, but also the first non-governmental organization in the country.
Today UDF contains 36 organizations from 23 regions of Ukraine, including 18 at regional level, 11 at local level and 6 at district level. UDF is a member of Ukrainian Union of Patients Organizations (UUPO) and together with other 18 member organizations of the Union is active in the fight against non-infectious diseases in Ukraine and abroad.
The main purpose of UDF is to promote interests of people with diabetes in Ukraine, protect their right to a healthy and decent life and adequate and modern treatment.
- UDF closely works with governmental authorities supporting policy for the rights of people with diabetes in Ukraine.
- UDF carries out Public Audit of National Health Care Programmes.
- In 2013, UDF initiated the process of forming a Working Group on NCDs in the Parliament of Ukraine.
- In 2012 UDF became an initiator and organizer of the International Mini-Football Championship for People with Diabetes “DIAEURO 2012” – a unique social project that aims to raise awareness of the global problem of diabetes in Ukraine and worldwide.
- Being a member association of IDF, UDF traditionally organises activities to mark World Diabetes Day on 14 November.