Founded 26 years ago in Benin, Edo State the Diabetes Association of Nigeria (DAN) now has chapters in every State of the federation. It is made up of people with diabetes and careers of people with diabetes. The association is affiliated on the international scene with the international Diabetes Federation. The association has cordial relationship with other professional bodies like the Nigerian society of endocrinology & Metabolism NSEM, the Nigerian chapter of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, the Nutrition society of Nigeria, Society for Diabetes Educator of Nigeria and several other bodies.
- To promote the health and Socio-economic wellbeing of Nigerians living with Diabetes
- To disseminate helpful knowledge and practices concerning diabetes
- To improve the treatment of Diabetes in Nigeria by building a formidable health initiative
DAN organises the following activities :
- International Conferences, National Diabetes Congress and Local conferences, seminars, workshops, up-date courses and participate in fora on Diabetes mellitus and related disorders.
- Establishes and administers research fund pertaining to diabetes mellitus.
- The Development of educational methods designed to give people living with diabetes a better understanding of their condition.
- The education of the Nigerian public about the early recognition of diabetes, the importance of medical supervision of its treatment and behavioural modification for the prevention of DM and related disorders.
- The encouragement and facilitation of the creation of branches, chapters and units of DAN in Nigeria.
- Advocacy visits, Radio/Television documentaries, visits to hospitals, etc.
- Public screening on Diabetes
- Inter schools/colleges quiz and debate competitions on Diabetes
Their World Diabetes Day Celebrations are marked annually in every state of the Federation with the general public, which include the Federal Ministry of Health and the various state ministries of health, prominent members of the society, traditional rulers, medical/health practitioners and people living with diabetes turning out en mass.
Activities involve diabetes screening for the general public, a public lecture on the theme of the WDD and early recognition of diabetes, the importance of medical supervision of its treatment and behavioural modification for the prevention of Diabetes as well as a public health rally walk/campaign.
Message from the President
Dr Alkali Mohammed “Diabetes Association of Nigeria (DAN) became a member of IDF in 1982 and since then, DAN attends Regional meetings and Diabetes Congresses.
We have also benefitted from various regional international trainings and workshops through our nominees”.