Kuwait Diabetes Society (KDS) is a nonprofit foundation that was established in 1996 through the Kuwait Medical Association (KMA). It was initially located within the KMA building. As the number of the members grew throughout the years and the service provided has varied, KDS has relocated to a spacious setting in al Ma’moun School in Kifan Area.
Today KDS is considered one of the largest societies in Kuwait with more than 25,000 registered member and with more than 250 visitors per day.
To provide the opportunity to live a healthy life with diabetes without complications.
To promote awareness of the society to prevent and control diabetes through the implementation of best practices and evidence based guidelines and by conducting and organizing workshops/courses for both health care professionals and general population.
- To empower individuals with diabetes for better control
- To educate health care professional for a better practice of diabetes care
- To promote public awareness to adopt healthy life style and prevent diabetes
- To support research in diabetes
- Develop training courses and workshops to empower individuals with diabetes and to provide the opportunity to share experiences.
- Provide diabetes management tools (glucometers, glucose strips, etc) at average costs that are lower than market price.
- Provide free retinal exams , HbA1C check, diabetes education , foot care consultations and dietary advice for members.
- Construct periodical publications and educational materials covering latest news in the field of diabetes.
- Organize training courses for health care professionals( nurses, physicians, dieticians) to support best practice of care and prevention of diabetes and it’s complications.
- Arrange sponsoring local and international diabetes conferences.
- Increase cooperation between physicians and health care professionals specializing in diabetes to share knowledge and exchange experiences regarding diabetes therapy to improve care provided for people with diabetes.
- Coordinate with governmental and nongovernmental organizations to promote a high standard diabetes care delivered to diabetic patients.
- Establish and strengthen the relationships between KDS and other diabetes-related organizations and associations regionally and globally.