The Mauritius Diabetes Association was founded by Sir Kailash Ramdenee and registered in 1981. A piece of crown land was donated to the Association by the Government of Mauritius and the Diabetic Centre was built with funds raised by the Rotary Club of Curepipe when Sir Kailash Ramdenee was president of the club.
- Free blood glucose tests and Education sessions (awareness & prevention)
- Physical Education sessions
- Networking: Six satellites situated in the main regions of the island where the same sessions and education as at Centre are offered
- Monthly programme of one hour duration on radio, whereby a Medical Doctor and a lay person from the Mauritius Diabetes Association interact
- with public over phone. The programme is recorded and repeated. Target: The entire population
- Diabetes awareness sessions for secondary school
- Talks and seminars for the benefit of members of Clubs, Associations, institutions, as well as industries.
- MDA is currently working in the Hospitality Sector (Hotel Group) to screen employees for diabetes, counselling on lifestyle to promote healthy living focusing on physical activity, proper nutrition, prevention on risky behavior and promotion of general wellbeing.