There are almost 9 million people living with type 1 diabetes around the world. They require daily insulin treatment, regular blood glucose monitoring and a healthy lifestyle to manage their condition effectively.
The new free online course on the IDF School of Diabetes Understanding Diabetes platform, Type 1 diabetes: overview, treatments and targets, aims to help people better understand the condition and ways of managing it effectively. This 30-minute course is designed for people living with diabetes and their carers and covers 6 modules including:
- How type 1 diabetes develops
- The necessity of insulin
- The effects of illness, alcohol and physical activity on glucose levels.
- Strategies for glucose monitoring
- Identifying diabetes-related complications
- Understanding when additional support from a healthcare team is needed
Upon completing the course, learners will have a thorough understanding of type 1 diabetes and the treatments and targets needed for effective management of the condition.