The General Assembly is the general guiding body of IDF. Every two years, it meets at the IDF World Diabetes Congress to debate and vote on matters related to IDF governance and elect a new board of directors for the subsequent biennium.
In the intervening period, extraordinary meetings of the General Assembly can be convened by the IDF President or the General Assembly itself.
The General Assembly has the power to:
- Admit and terminate IDF Members.
- Elect (from the potential candidates put forward by the Nominating Committee) and terminate the members of the IDF Board of Directors.
- Approve the election of Regional Chairs and Regional Chairs-Elect.
- Elect the Nominating Committee.
- Approve changes to the IDF Articles of Association and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Approve the budget and annual audited accounts.
- Appoint and terminate the auditors.
- Decide upon the dissolution and liquidation of IDF.
The General Assembly is composed of the following persons, who are referred to as “Members of the General Assembly”:
- Members of the Board of Directors.
- Delegates of each IDF Member
Observers (e.g. Honorary Presidents, Provisional Members or Committee Chairs) are invited to attend the General Assembly, but have no voting rights,