Health professionals formed the Bermuda Diabetes Association in 1979, led by Nurse Debbie Jones, in response to the alarming number of complications affecting people with diabetes in Bermuda. The steering committee felt that with greater knowledge the person with diabetes could be in a better position to best manage the disease.
The objectives of the association are to provide knowledge to patients and healthcare providers alike.
Programmes to update physicians, nurses and dieticians are regularly sponsored by the Association. One of the Association’s earlier objectives was to provide diabetes education through the hospital, and the association successfully lobbied for and sponsored the opening of the diabetes education centre at the hospital.
In 2007 the Association opened a pharmacy, which supplies most of those on the island with their diabetes medical supplies. The Association now has 8 staff members, which includes a community educator who takes diabetes education to the schools and workplace.
In 2020 Bermuda Diabetes Association moved into its new home bringing all of its services, pharmacy and diabetes education, under one roof.
- To promote awareness about signs, symptoms & treatment of diabetes
- To support for those living with Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes
- To reduce the incidence of diabetes complications
- To education about healthy lifestyles for prevention and management of diabetes
- To provide medicine for free to those with diabetes who are financially disadvantaged
- Public diabetes screenings
- Sponsored workshops for healthcare professionals
- An annual grant for further education in diabetes care
- Web based newsletter/updates
- Import of medication and blood glucose test strips
- Teaching of patients in use of glucose monitors and administration of insulin
- Classes on how to use the freestyle Libre
- Nutrition classes at lunch time
- Diabetes Reversal/Rewind classes
- Sponsoring children to attend diabetes camp
- Sponsorship of guest speakers to lecture at physician clinical meetings and at general public meetings
Message from the President
“IDF is instrumental in bringing together IDF MA’s to share best practice and learn from another. Bermuda Diabetes Association is grateful to IDF for the many services, including webinars that it provides to IDF MA’s throughout the year. World Diabetes Day unites the diabetes world and reinforces the message that together we are stronger.”